Thursday, June 14, 2012

Journals

Happy Thursday, world. This is the all knowing MaceFace. I think it's time I tell you about the importance of journals. They may be the key, the single eight-letter password to truly great writing. I have a journal myself that I got for Christmas last year where I put my story ideas, doodles, favorite quotes, poems that speak to me, and stupid pointless stuff. I think the greatest thing about these books is that only you really need to understand them. So if you're short on time because you forgot about your own birthday party (guilty) and you get a really great idea, just write "code gnome" or something in there that you get. When you're done celebrating the increasing distance between you and childhood, come home and finish up what you started.
  Now I'd like to clarify that "journal" doesn't necessarily mean "diary." You can use your journal to record your creepy thoughts about that cute guy from the library, but I don't recommend it. 
  The first reason: Little siblings, brothers especially. I have one myself and when I was younger he would always try to read what I called my diary. Really there wasn't anything interesting in it, but I thought it was super private crap. You know, like how when we were in first grade we had a new crush every month? 
  The second reason: Bringing your journal in public/school. This just isn't a good idea because if you lose it you're screwed. If someone who enjoys stealing things--which, for those who enjoy big words, is a kleptomaniac--find it, you're screwed. If you put all those creepy cute guy from the library thoughts in there and a snoopy person happens upon it, you're screwed. 
    The third reason: The awesome feeling you get when someone asks you if it's your diary and you just look at them and say, "No. It is not. Because diaries are for weenies and I am a novelist." The look on their faces is usually pretty glorious to behold. 
     So, go get yourself a journal. I don't care what you put in it, really, but it will help you if you're a writer. Also, when you're old and have memory loss like I do now (and I'm not old) you'll be able to look back on that funny story about how you and your best friend had to change that one light bulb and be able to smile and say, "I wonder what that Alex looks like. He sure wasn't a looker all them years ago." But it would be funny because you're best friend would obviously be sitting right next to you, just like they always are. 


      "Me and you is friends. You smile, I smile. You cry, I cry. You hurt, I hurt. You jump off a bridge, I'll miss your e-mails." Heh heh. ~Macey

No comments:

Post a Comment